Another tool for creating engagement and a sense of involvement in your posts is empathy. As writers we can use this technique to add depth to our posts.
Empathy is compassion or rapport. In storytelling terms it is the ability to place your readers in the shoes of your characters. So how do you do that in a social media post? Here are some things to consider:
1. Speak from the heart. Talk about the personal and human impact of what you do.
2. Use personal stories, names if you can.
3. Talk about the emotional impact of what happened.
4. Describe the physical impact, don’t simply name the feelings.
5. Use the senses. Describe the feel of clean water, how it slides on your tongue. Don’t just say it’s clean.
Empathy can be engendered when people can see themselves in the position of a user of your product or service. If you have described this in personal terms then you are more likely to engender empathy in your posts.
Increasing empathy is one of the solutions that has been offered to the troubles of the world. Empathy is considered essential for the healthy human development. Its lack from caregivers is one oft-quoted reason for the development of cruelty, sadism and their evil offspring, fascism.
If you can add empathy to your posts than you will increase the engagement and resonance of each post.
Posts on my own hopes, my excitement and my disappointments at how we have been let down by those in authority have engendered the greatest numbers of hits on my author blog: www.lpobryan.com
When we speak from the heart our words echo.